Cooking up a hearty dish on a daily basis is gratifying yet also challenging, as you need to achieve the perfect balance of flavors and the right complementing staple ingredients (be it pork, chicken, fish or vegetables) to make each family meal time a happy, satisfying experience. But do you know that by adding in mushrooms in your recipe, you can make everyday meals more delicious, extra nutritious, and excitingly enjoyable for the whole family? It is even simpler that you think!
To help bring out the best flavors and nutritional value in your dish choices, JOLLY, the No.1 canned mushroom brand in the country, provides two easy-to-prepare recipes that will give your favorite Filipino dishes a new appetizing twist that the family will surely love.
Following the 1 can of JOLLY Mushrooms + ½ kg of pork or chicken ratio, one can come up with a much delicious, nutritionally balanced dish that is a good source of protein, valuable minerals, and antioxidants.
Because mushrooms deliver a rich, earthy umami taste and meaty texture, they are used to perfectly complement almost any dish, any cuisine.
“Mushrooms are natural flavor enhancers. Whatever variety, their robust flavors and textures make them a versatile pantry must-have. Whether used as a practical non-meat substitute or combined with other main ingredients like meat, vegetables, or seafood, mushrooms can make any dish more satisfying, and enjoyable to eat,” says Fly Ace Corporation Group Product Manager for Canned Fruits and Vegetables Marilou Acuña.
JOLLY PORK ADOBO WITH MUSHROOM
- 1 can (400g) JOLLY Whole Mushrooms, drained
- 500 grams pork belly, adobo cut
- 2-3 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 piece red onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns, whole
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- Heat oil in a pan. Pan-fry pork for 10-15 minutes or until light brown on all sides. Remove excess oil.
- Add onion and garlic, sauté until fragrant.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar and water; let it simmer without the pan cover for 30-45 minutes. Add water if it becomes too dry.
- Add peppercorns, bay leaf and JOLLY Mushrooms, continue simmering until pork is tender and sauce is reduced. Adjust seasoning if needed.
Serving size: 160g/serving
Number of servings: 6-7 servings
JOLLY CHICKEN AFRITADA WITH MUSHROOMS
- 1 can JOLLY Whole Mushrooms 400g, drained
- 500 grams chicken, cut to 8-10 pieces
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 2-3 pieces bay leaves
- 4-5 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons JOLLY Tomato Paste
- 1 piece green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 piece carrots, cut into cubes
- Heat oil in a pan. Pan-fry chicken for 10-15 minutes or until brown. Remove excess oil.
- Add the bay leaves, garlic and onion. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, water, pepper, fish sauce, tomato paste, JOLLY Whole Mushrooms, bell pepper and carrots. Stir well.
- Let it simmer with the pan covered for about 15-20 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add water if sauce becomes too thick.
Serving size: 160-180g/serving
servings: 7-8 servings